This delicious recipe works well with a crisp green salad and a fresh baguette. Serve with a traditional Spanish wine like Rioja and savour the taste of this wonderful country.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 gloves garlic
- 1 red pepper (chopped)
- 125 grams chorizo sausage (chopped)
- 2 chicken breasts
- 375 grams Arborio rice
- 1.25 litres chicken stock
- 125 ml white wine
- 1 pinch saffron ((use turmeric otherwise))
- 2 tomatoes (chopped)
- 100 grams frozens peas
- 12 prawns (medium to large size)
- 500 grams mussels
- 1 handful parsley
- 1 lemon (Lemon wedges to garnish)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a paella pan or large pan and add the onion, pepper and garlic. Cook for a few minutes before adding the chicken and rice. Cook for around 3 minutes.
- Add ½ of the stock, the wine, thyme leaves and saffron. Add salt and pepper to taste. Bring to the boil and simmer for around 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- If the rice is uncooked at this stage, stir in 1/3 of the rest of the stock. Continue cooking and stirring occasionally until the rice is cooked.
- Stir in the peas and tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes. Add the mussels and prawns on top of the dish and cover with foil. Leave for 3 to 5 minutes to heat through.
- Remove foil, sprinkle with parsley and serve with lemon wedges.